We were expecting some guests at home. My wife Nisha and my mom had made all the dishes for the evening. Most of the dishes were Vegetarian, so I decided to supplement the Menu by making a quick preparation of a Kerala style Cornish hen/chicken curry.
It was a challenge to cook and handle the camera at the same time ! I will look forward to your comments. Happy cooking!
Kerala Style Cornish Hen/Chicken (Serves 10 - 12)
Cornish hen or small chicken – 5lbs
Red Onions (chopped) – 3 cups
Cardamom (small) – 10-12
Cardamom (black) – 2
Cloves – a few
Bay leaves - a few
Cinnamon - 2 pieces
Star anise – a few
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
Red chili powder – 3 tablespoons
Coriander powder – 5 tablespoons
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Chopped garlic – 1 tablespoon
Curry leaves - a few sprigs
Fresh ginger – 1 small piece cut into julienne or ginger powder – 1 tablespoon
Plain yogurt – 4 ounces
Vegetable oil – ½ cup
1. Remove the skin, cut into small pieces, rinse, dry with a paper towel and set aside in a mixing bowl.
2. Set aside the whole spices like small cardamom, black cardamom, cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaves, star anise, cinnamon on a small plate.
3. On another plate set asdie ground spices - red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder.
4. Chop onions( preferably red onions).
5. Add the ground spices like red chili powder, turmeric and coriander powder on to a skillet and warm them up for a minute or two with a few drops of oil, making sure not burn the spices.
6. Add the warmed up spices on to the cornish hen/chicken along with the plain yogurt, and a few sprig of curry leaves. Mix well and set aside in the refrigerator for about an hour.
7. In a thick bottom pan, heat oil add the whole spices - cumin, cardamom(small), black cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, bayleaves,chopped garlic, ginger add chopped onions. When the onions are kind of translucent, add curry leaves and continue to fry the onions till they get a nice dark color as shown ( do not burn the onions)
8. Now add the marinated cornish hen/chicken and continue to stir for a few minutes. Cover and cook on a slow fire, occasionally stirring till the cornish hen/chicken is done.
Note : if you like gravy in this dish, you can add some water. My personal preference is to cook without any water.